Ayawaso violence: Minority boycotts Emile Short’s Commission

The Minority caucus in Parliament is following the footpath of its party, the National Democratic Congress (NDC), and has served notice it will not cooperate with the Commission of Inquiry probing the Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election violence.

The Minority in a statement said it “would not be part of any scheme to cover up or create immunity for the perpetrators.”

The NDC similarly said it will “not be part of any charade” and will not honour any invitation by the Justice Emile Short-led commission which has begun its work.

The three-member Commission begun work n Monday and was expected to take statements from persons of interest from the NDC after the controversial January 31 by-election.

There was a shooting incident that occurred near a La Bawaleshie polling centre that temporarily disrupted the Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election and resulted in at least 13 persons sustaining injuries.

Minority MP, Sam George was also assaulted by multiple National Security personnel during the incident.

Though it is boycotting the commission, the Minority stressed that it will pursue its own avenues in search of justice.

“The Minority in Parliament wishes to serve notice that we would not relent in pursuing the series of democratic actions we had earlier announced until such a time that we are convinced that there is a genuine effort to hold the cowardly masked perpetrators accountable for their crimes.”

The Minority remains upset that no arrests have been made so far despite video evidence of brutalities from security personnel.

“Sadly, since that meeting with the Ghana Police Service, not only has there been no further communication with us, more worryingly, there has not been a single arrest of the perpetrators despite the existence of abundant information including numerous pictures and videos which are exceedingly useful to investigators in every jurisdiction,” the statement noted.

Because of the involvement of national security personnel, the Minority, in addition, said it expected the Minister of State in-charge-of National security to have been sacked by now.

“…their leader and mastermind, Mr. Bryan Acheampong has stated publicly that he knows the hoodlums and therefore it is safe to assume that he can easily produce them to face the law, even as we expect Bryan Acheampong himself to have been dismissed by now and equally made to answer for his crimes.”

News Reporter

Leave a Reply