The Minority in Parliament is planning on summoning the Minister of Education and the West African Examination Council (WAEC) before the house over their refusal to allow about 200 BECE candidates to write their exams.
The students in Bunkprugu in the Northern region were unable to write this year’s English and RME papers due to a change in their examination center.
WAEC subsequently indicated that the students will only be made to re-write next year (2018).
However, the Minority in Parliament believes that, waiting for a year would delay the academic pursuit of the pupils. Instead, WAEC must arrange for the papers to be written so they can continue to the second cycle level this year.
Minority Spokesperson on Education, Peter Nortsu-Kotoe said, the Education Minister should have asked WAEC to arrange for the pupils to write the papers immediately after the main exams ended.
He wants the Minister to appear before the Parliamentary Select Committee on Education to explain what is preventing him from ordering WAEC to organize the examination for the children. -
Heap of sand at the banks of Tano River is yet to be claimed to fill pits dug by “Galamseyers’’ as the illegal mining activities along the river bank halts months after governments ban. Countless pits and piled up sand were seen blocking about three streams which join ties with the Tano River during a visit to the site.
The activity which a number of residents at Adongo a farming community in the Tano North district of the Brong Ahafo Region complained of endangering lives especially children, they told Ark News has caused a lot of damage as their farm lands and source of drinking water were totally vandalized.
In an interview with some of them, they recalled tension poured on them as they had to wrestle with them (Galamseyers) over their lands, hailing the NPP led government for the ban.
Speaking to the Odikro Nana Asare Baffour he said, the Galamsey activity which erupted about a year ago has suddenly been stopped attributing it to the government’s quest in clamping down on the operators. ‘’we are very grateful to government because after the directive by the lands and natural resource ministry, they have stop pestering our lands’’ he noted.
He added a number of military and police patrol team regularly are spotted visiting the sites forcing the illegal mining operators to flee the area. He added, strangers who were identified trooping in and out of the town on daily bases are nowhere to be found, clearly showing quite a safe environment for the children as they previously feared lives of these younger ones were in danger.
Nana Asare Bafour has since called on the Brong Ahafo Regional Police command and the Military to continue with their patrol to the area to completely wipe out these activity operators. He also charged the Regional Coordinating Council (RCC) to initiate measures to reclaim the lands for farming activities to as his inhabitants are mainly farmers.
One person was confirmed dead on Wednesday after a storey building under construction collapsed in Techiman.
The structure which is part of several construction projects ongoing at the Techiman market collapsed at about 4:00 am.
An eyewitness explained that three guys sleep under the structure and out of the three one is confirmed dead and another responding to treatment at the Holy Family hospital in Techiman.
Report from Hon. John Donyina The Municipal Chief Executive of the Techiman Municipality stated and described the incident as tragic and has requested and excavator from the Chief of Techiman to evacuate the rest of the building with a motive in search if there could be more bodies under the collapsed building. He added that the building materials found at the site seemed somehow very weak and condemned the building engineers their inability to examine quality materials for their work. He urged each and everyone to halt on all building projects in the Municipality until further notice and whosoever disobey him does that his/her own risk.
Nevertheless, The Brong Ahafo Regional Minister Hon. Kwaku Asomah Cheremeh got to the scene not long after and spoke with Ark FM’s reporter Ernest Darker and said. “It is quite unfortunate to see this building collapse to kill a person, but looking at the authenticity of the building, the quality of the materials seemed of poor quality.” He added he could see a lot more buildings nearby in a similar state. He urged the general public to notice that he has withheld the position of the Building Inspector until a building committee is set up for the Techiman municipality. He also complained about some constructions being done by the Traditional council and has been in court for sometime now.